Wednesday 22 June 2011

VW New Beetle - Fail

So these are some very small dodgy elements of a otherwise pretty good little "run-around". The VW Beetle is fantastic for what it was built to do, it's reliable and it gets me where I need to be.

Its a somewhat emasculating car to drive around Texas with even soccer moms driving Ford F-250's or Dodge RAM's, but I get by.

The thing that annoys me to no end has to be the window buttons. They could not have put them in a less comfortable position if they tried. They are flat against the door, and also have a shape that really makes it difficult to push them up or down. I have had many close calls in traffic trying to work these little buttons.

To operate them you have to angle your arm in a way that twists your wrist into a strange backward bend, which when driving in rush hour traffic can be extremely distracting.

My model is a 2008, hopefully this has been fixed in later models. If you have a later model (or one from the same year) please comment on this thread about your experiences.

By the way, have a look at the brand new shape just released this year:

VW New Beetle 2011

Apparently the shape will appeal more to a mass market, not just females. By the way, did I mention it's my wife's car and not mine?

No comments: